Friday, April 26, 2013

A Primal Anniversary (and some delicious projects)

Last Tuesday we celebrated our Primal Anniversary. It's hard to believe that it's been a year since I went "primal," it's totally a part of who I am now. Over the past year, I have found so many resources and I feel like there's still so much more for me to learn. Luckily, I'm still hungry for more! Amit and I have really enjoyed finding new recipes to add to our repertoire. I think I'm finally starting to rub off on him too - my favorite dentist is doing his Grand Rounds presentation on Ancestral Diets and the benefit on oral health!

In honor of our growth over this past year, here is a sampling of what we've been up to in the kitchen! Though it's just starting to warm up, we've been grilling for a while now. Real men (and dogs) grill when it's cold.
I'm glad I stay on this side of the glass.
Salmon and Brussels Sprouts
Venison with peppers and onions.
We've mastered the kale chip.


I found this recipe for mint chocolate chip ice cream, which was a total success! We still love walking to our Abbott's for frozen custard, but we don't feel as guilty about eating our homemade coconut milk ice cream.
So delicious and so good for you...
thanks to the added spinach (for the green color)!

Amit is more of a chocolate guy, so I adapted the recipe and created my own for chocolate chocolate chip ice cream. 
It's ridiculously easy - 1 can of coconut milk, 2 heaping tablespoons of cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, and about 2-4 tablespoons of honey (sweetening to taste, I make mine less sweet). 
I put all of that in the blender, mix it up, and then add it to our ice cream maker. 
We stir in the chocolate chips (and Amit adds toffee pieces) before we let it firm up in the freezer.
This is becoming a regular treat in our house...
Too bad Amit won't let me add spinach to this one...yet.

Our Kombucha experiment continues...
It's almost time to taste this batch.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Hello, Scoby!

We really have gotten more in touch with our natural side since beginning this primal journey. I make my own lotion bars, we drink herbal teas, and now we're moving to a place where we'll really be able to get in touch with our simple, primal selves. 

I have some lofty goals for our second year of living Primally - begin composting, start a garden, and maybe even friend some farmers who raise local, pastured meat. We'll see what the year will have in store for us, but I know that Ithaca will be the perfect community to support my natural living adventure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment